Monday, January 24, 2011

Hello from Luna!

Hello! For those who don't know me, my name is Luna Godfrey and I am a swing dancing instructor and burlesque performer. I have recently taken over the management of The Swing Sesh, and have many exciting plans for the school! Chris Härm, the founder, will also be co-directing the school, but spends most of his time travelling the world and teaching Lindy Hop and blues at an international level. This post is basically to tell you a little bit about myself, and what I hope The Swing Sesh will become.

I've danced for pretty much my entire life. For around 10 years I was a professional bellydancer, and I have been a burlesque performer for about 4 years. I've also dappled in other performing arts like contemporary dance, theatre and jazz. I only started swing dancing around 3 years ago, but I immediately caught the bug. I attended as many classes as physically possible, as well as private lessons with local teachers. I knew I was obsessed when I was triple stepping around the house, garden, work...anywhere! Another sign was my inability to watch anything other then Lindy Hop competition videos on YouTube, and my distaste for any kind of music that didn't have a swing rythym. My obsession hasn't changed much today! Since starting Lindy Hop, I have tried to travel as much as I can and to learn from as many different people as possible. I am a firm believer that there is something to be learnt from everyone you meet, and always try to remember this in any level class.

A lot of people from outside my dancing life can't understand my passion for the dance, and I don't think you can really appreciate it until you've caught it. There is something about sharing a dance with a partner you've never met before, and being able to create something new, fresh and artistic with that person. It's such a joy and a challenge, and the experiences are continually changing as you dance with different people. There is also much to be said for the rich history behind Lindy Hop. Reading the about the lives of those who pioneered the dance gives me so much inspiration, and also makes me feel like we all have  a responsibility to pass on the dance to others, and to help them find the inspiration and joy we feel ourselves.

The Adelaide swing scene is quite small, but we have a really great community here. I really hope to help make that grow and expand, and through The Swing Sesh give people an avenue through which they can learn more and discover their own personalities as dancers. The people in the school have so much potential, and it's my dream for us all to grow together as a community, and look back on where we started and see how far we've come.

There are going to be many changes at The Swing Sesh, all looking to create a positive environment for all levels of Lindy Hoppers. It will take me a while to get a hold on how the system is working right now, so please excuse any hiccups that may occur whilst the changeover is taking place. I welcome any feedback you might have, so please don't hesitate to email me with any comments, queries or ideas at luna@theswingsesh.com, or you can phone me on 0405 144 301. You can also add me on Facebook and Skype (search for luna@theswingsesh.com) The Swing Sesh would be nothing without it's students so if you've got something to say, please don't hesitate!

I look forward to sharing the Lindy Hop journey with all of you. There is so much to learn and see!

Luna
The Swing Sesh
http://www.theswingsesh.com/
Ph 0405 144 301
info@theswingsesh.com

Chris and I...partners in crime! (and lindy hop)

4 comments:

  1. Like!! Excited to see how our garden grows with your input Lovely Luna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Juliet! There are exciting times ahead :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so inspiring, Luna!
    The Adelaide scene can only grow and get more vibrant and exciting under your care. Looking forward to this year!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Erin, I think you are pretty spesh yourself! :D

    ReplyDelete